Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dead of Night

I promise to post more frequently.

Its a little hard to recall the complete story of how I got this demo, I think a friend referred the band to me. The drummer was in Libyans, who were playing around at the time. And perhaps still are?

From New York, Dead of Night as far as I know recorded/released only this two-track cd, an enjoyable stab at Amebix-esque rumble, in 2006. The vogue for this particular flavor at the time was rather strong, and I tend personally to lean heavily to the cynical when estimating the earnestness of a band's stylistic influences.

I find these sort of lost, provincial genre bands to be immensly enjoyable to seek out. Something about the image of a group of momentarily enthusiastic bandmates hitching their wagon to a very specific star, and then through neglect, or disinterest at the hands of the wider scene, giving it up after a more or less brief run, ignites the maudlin aspects of my imagination to smolder. The best of these genre exercises bring a few personal touches to the table, avoiding to some degree the selfconscious and agonizingly boring "dis-clone" type garbage. Do DON succeed?








3 comments:

  1. so strange you decided to post this. i contemplated placing one of the songs (track 2) on this most recent episode of the radio show, but for a few reasons decided against it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...not because i don't enjoy this demo, because in fact i think it's (ironically) a cut above the rest of the amebix style bands of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it too! i was wondering if i was sounding harsh. one thing that does bug me a bit about the songs is they sound like clips somehow, like they should actually be about 3-4 minutes longer than they are

    ReplyDelete